The Kelvingrove Art Gallery is a museum and art gallery in Glasgow which houses one of Europe's great civic art collections. Since its refurbishment, the museum is the most popular free to enter visitor attraction in Scotland, and the most visited museum in the United Kingdom outside London. The construction of Kelvingrove was partly financed by the proceeds of the 1888 International Exhibition held in Kelvingrove Park. The gallery was designed by Sir John W. Simpson and E.J. Milner Allen and opened in 1901. It is built in a Spanish Baroque style, follows the Glaswegian tradition of using local red sandstone.