St Michael's church was largely constructed between the late 14th century and early 15th century. It was the largest parish church in England when, in 1918, it was elevated to cathedral status on the creation of Coventry Diocese. This St Michael's Cathedral now stands ruined, bombed almost to destruction on November 14, 1940 by the German Luftwaffe. Only the tower and spire and the outer wall survived. The ruins of this older cathedral remain hallowed ground.